What You Need to Know About Healthcare Social Worker
Healthcare Social Worker Definition Provide individuals, families, and groups with the psychosocial support needed to cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses. Services include advising family care givers, providing patient education and counseling, and making referrals for other services. May also provide care and case management or interventions designed to promote health, prevent disease, and address barriers to access to healthcare.
List of Healthcare Social Worker Job Duties
- Monitor, evaluate, and record client progress according to measurable goals described in treatment and care plan.
- Collaborate with other professionals to evaluate patients' medical or physical condition and to assess client needs.
- Counsel clients and patients in individual and group sessions to help them overcome dependencies, recover from illness, and adjust to life.
- Utilize consultation data and social work experience to plan and coordinate client or patient care and rehabilitation, following through to ensure service efficacy.
- Plan and conduct programs to combat social problems, prevent substance abuse, or improve community health and counseling services.
- Investigate child abuse or neglect cases and take authorized protective action when necessary.
Healthcare Social Worker Needed Skills
Below is a list of the skills most Healthcare Social Workers say are important on the job.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Other Healthcare Social Worker Job Titles
- Home Health Care Social Worker
- Medical Social Consultant
- Medical Case Manager
- Social Work Case Manager
- Medicaid Specialist
Is There Going to be Demand for Healthcare Social Workers?
In 2016, there was an estimated number of 176,500 jobs in the United States for Healthcare Social Worker. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 20.1% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 35,500 new jobs for Healthcare Social Worker by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 22,900 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Healthcare Social Worker are Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. Watch out if you plan on working in Rhode Island, Maine, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Healthcare Social Worker Salary
The salary for Healthcare Social Workers ranges between about $34,210 and $84,870 a year.
Healthcare Social Workers who work in California, Alaska, or District of Columbia, make the highest salaries.
How much do Healthcare Social Workers make in different U.S. states?
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$72,090|
What Tools & Technology do Healthcare Social Workers Use?
Although they’re not necessarily needed for all jobs, the following technologies are used by many Healthcare Social Workers:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Web browser software
- Email software
- Word processing software
- Spreadsheet software
- Database software
- Microsoft Publisher
- MEDITECH software
- Medical procedure coding software
- Healthcare common procedure coding system HCPCS
- Corel WordPerfect
- Adobe Systems Adobe PageMaker
- Patient electronic medical record EMR software
- Relational database software
- Calendar software
- Social Solutions ETO
- Web page design and editing software
Becoming a Healthcare Social Worker
What kind of Healthcare Social Worker requirements are there?
How many years of work experience do I need?
Healthcare Social Workers Sector
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
Those interested in being a Healthcare Social Worker may also be interested in:
Career changers with experience as a Healthcare Social Worker sometimes find work in one of the following fields:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|