All About Orderlies
Example of Orderly Job Transport patients to areas such as operating rooms or x-ray rooms using wheelchairs, stretchers, or moveable beds. May maintain stocks of supplies or clean and transport equipment.
- Clean equipment, such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, or portable medical equipment, documenting needed repairs or maintenance.
- Stock utility rooms, nonmedical storage rooms, or cleaning carts with supplies.
- Respond to emergency situations, such as emergency medical calls, security calls, or fire alarms.
- Transport bodies to the morgue.
- Answer patient call signals, signal lights, bells, or intercom systems to determine patients’ needs.
- Lift or assist others to lift patients to move them on or off beds, examination tables, surgical tables, or stretchers.
Orderly Needed Skills
Orderlies state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Service Orientation: Actively looking for ways to help people.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Coordination: Adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Related Job Titles
- Patient Transporter
- Radiology Transporter
- Institutional Aide
- Patient Care Technician (PCT)
- Hospital Corpsman
Job Opportunities for Orderlies
There were about 54,000 jobs for Orderly in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 8.1% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 4,400 new jobs for Orderly by 2026. There will be an estimated 6,700 positions for Orderly per year.
The states with the most job growth for Orderly are Colorado, Idaho, and Montana. Watch out if you plan on working in Illinois, Connecticut, or Oklahoma. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Do Orderlies Make A Lot Of Money?
Orderlies make between $21,010 and $41,460 a year.
Orderlies who work in Hawaii, Minnesota, or Alaska, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Orderlies in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$32,190|
Tools & Technologies Used by Orderlies
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Orderlies may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Windows
- Electronic medical record EMR software
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Medical record charting software
Becoming an Orderly
Learn what Orderly education requirements there are.
How Long Does it Take to Become an Orderly?
The table below shows the approximate number of Orderlies employed by various industries.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|