Types of Degrees Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many naturopathic medicine/naturopathy graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to naturopathic medicine/naturopathy and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Majors
Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills for Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Majors
naturopathic medicine/naturopathy majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Majors
A major in naturopathic medicine/naturopathy will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
What Can You Do With a Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Major?
People with a naturopathic medicine/naturopathy degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
How Much Do Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to naturopathic medicine/naturopathy is $85,600. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy
Some degrees associated with naturopathic medicine/naturopathy may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for naturopathic medicine/naturopathy careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||4.9%|
Online Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Programs
In 2019-2020, 7 schools offered a naturopathic medicine/naturopathy program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||6||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy Worth It?
The median salary for a naturopathic medicine/naturopathy grad is $85,600 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 115% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $914,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Naturopathic Medicine/Naturopathy
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to naturopathic medicine/naturopathy.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Aphiwat chuangchoem under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|