Other Alternative Medicine & Systems
Types of Degrees Other Alternative Medicine & Systems Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Other Alternative Medicine & Systems Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Other Alternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems Majors
Other Alternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
Skills for Other Alternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems:
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for Other Alternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems Majors
As you progress with your other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
What Can You Do With a Other Alternative Medicine & Systems Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Other Alternative Medicine & Systems?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||0|
|Hispanic or Latino||6|
How Much Do Other Alternative Medicine & Systems Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Other Alternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems majors often go into careers with median salaries of $85,600. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Other Alternative Medicine & Systems
Some careers associated with other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||76.1%|
Online Other Alternative Medicine & Systems Programs
In the 2019-2020 academic year, 9 schools offered some type of other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Other Alternative Medicine & Systems Worth It?
The median salary for a other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems grad is $85,600 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 115% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $914,000 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Other Alternative Medicine & Systems
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to other alternative and complementary medicine and medical systems.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Aphiwat chuangchoem under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|