Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy
Types of Degrees Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many psychoanalysis and psychotherapy graduations there were in 2020-2021 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to psychoanalysis and psychotherapy were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy Majors
Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy Majors
The following list of skills has been highlighted as some of the most essential for careers related to psychoanalysis and psychotherapy:
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Abilities for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a psychoanalysis and psychotherapy student include the following:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
What Can You Do With a Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy Major?
People with a psychoanalysis and psychotherapy degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
How Much Do Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy majors often go into careers with median salaries of $85,340. This median refers to all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy
Some degrees associated with psychoanalysis and psychotherapy may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to psychoanalysis and psychotherapy have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|First Professional Degree - awarded for completion of a program that: requires at least 2 years of college work before entrance into the program, includes a total of at least 6 academic years of work to complete, and provides all remaining academic requirements to begin practice in a profession.||8.2%|
Online Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy Programs
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 2 schools offered some type of psychoanalysis and psychotherapy program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy Worth It?
The median salary for a psychoanalysis and psychotherapy grad is $85,340 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 114% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $908,800 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Psychoanalysis & Psychotherapy
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to psychoanalysis and psychotherapy.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|