Mental Health Counseling
Types of Degrees Mental Health Counseling Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many mental health counseling/counselor graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Mental Health Counseling Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to mental health counseling/counselor and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Mental Health Counseling/Counselor Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in mental health counseling/counselor should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills for Mental Health Counseling/Counselor Majors
mental health counseling/counselor majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Abilities for Mental Health Counseling/Counselor Majors
As a mental health counseling/counselor major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
What Can You Do With a Mental Health Counseling Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with mental health counseling/counselor:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Mental Health Counselors||23.1%||NA|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Mental Health Counseling?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of mental health counseling/counselor majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||3|
|Hispanic or Latino||6|
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Mental Health Counseling
Some careers associated with mental health counseling/counselor require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to mental health counseling/counselor have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||1.5%|
|Post-Master’s Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Master’s degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees at the doctoral level.||1.4%|
Online Mental Health Counseling Programs
In 2019-2020, 254 schools offered a mental health counseling/counselor program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||4||2|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||13||2|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||4||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Mental Health Counseling
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to mental health counseling/counselor.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|