What Does it Take to Be a Psychiatrist?
Example of Psychiatrist Job Physicians who diagnose, treat, and help prevent disorders of the mind.
- Advise or inform guardians, relatives, or significant others of patients’ conditions or treatment.
- Examine or conduct laboratory or diagnostic tests on patients to provide information on general physical condition or mental disorder.
- Gather and maintain patient information and records, including social or medical history obtained from patients, relatives, or other professionals.
- Prescribe, direct, or administer psychotherapeutic treatments or medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders.
- Serve on committees to promote or maintain community mental health services or delivery systems.
- Analyze and evaluate patient data or test findings to diagnose nature or extent of mental disorder.
Skills Needed to be a Psychiatrist
Below is a list of the skills most Psychiatrists say are important on the job.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Types of Psychiatrist Jobs
- Outpatient Psychiatrist
- Clinical Director
- Child & Adolescent Psychiatrist
- Medical Doctor (MD)
Is There Job Demand for Psychiatrists?
In the United States, there were 27,500 jobs for Psychiatrist in 2016. New jobs are being produced at a rate of 11.3% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 3,100 new jobs for Psychiatrist by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 1,100 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Psychiatrist are Arizona, Colorado, and Arkansas. Watch out if you plan on working in Rhode Island, Vermont, or South Dakota. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
Psychiatrist Average Salary
The salary for Psychiatrists ranges between about $75,590 and $208,000 a year.
Psychiatrists who work in Alaska, Arizona, or California, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Psychiatrists in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$167,190|
What Tools & Technology do Psychiatrists Use?
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Psychiatrists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Web browser software
- MEDITECH software
- Epic Systems
- Electronic medical record EMR software
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Practice management software PMS
- Texas Medical Software SpringCharts EMR
- Allscripts Sunrise Clinical Manager
- Cerner ProFile
- Epic EpicCare Inpatient Clinical System
- Integrated Systems Management OmniMD
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS
- MEDITECH Behavioral Health Clinicals
- ADL Data Systems OptimumClinicals Electronic Health Record
- Advantage Software Psych Advantage
How do I Become a Psychiatrist?
What kind of Psychiatrist requirements are there?
What work experience do I need to become a Psychiatrist?
Where do Psychiatrists Work?
The table below shows some of the most common industries where those employed in this career field work.
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|