All About Radiologists
Job Description: Examine and diagnose disorders and diseases using x-rays and radioactive materials. May treat patients.
What Do Radiologists Do On a Daily Basis?
- Participate in research projects involving radiology.
- Communicate examination results or diagnostic information to referring physicians, patients, or families.
- Participate in quality improvement activities including discussions of areas where risk of error is high.
- Review or transmit images and information using picture archiving or communications systems.
- Administer radiopaque substances by injection, orally, or as enemas to render internal structures and organs visible on x-ray films or fluoroscopic screens.
- Evaluate medical information to determine patients' risk factors, such as allergies to contrast agents, or to make decisions regarding the appropriateness of procedures.
Radiologist Needed Skills
Radiologists state the following job skills are important in their day-to-day work.
Writing: Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Reading Comprehension: Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Judgment and Decision Making: Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Speaking: Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Related Job Titles
- Pediatric Radiologist
- Attending Physician
- Veterinary Radiologist
- Resident in Diagnostic Radiology
- Interventional Radiologist
Radiologist Job Outlook
There were about 372,400 jobs for Radiologist in 2016 (in the United States). New jobs are being produced at a rate of 11.4% which is above the national average. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 42,300 new jobs for Radiologist by 2026. Due to new job openings and attrition, there will be an average of 14,300 job openings in this field each year.
The states with the most job growth for Radiologist are Arizona, Alaska, and Utah. Watch out if you plan on working in Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Illinois. These states have the worst job growth for this type of profession.
What is the Average Salary of a Radiologist
The average yearly salary of a Radiologist ranges between $60,280 and $208,000.
Radiologists who work in Alaska, Arizona, or Colorado, make the highest salaries.
Below is a list of the median annual salaries for Radiologists in different U.S. states.
|State||Annual Mean Salary|
|District of Columbia||$182,910|
Tools & Technologies Used by Radiologists
Below is a list of the types of tools and technologies that Radiologists may use on a daily basis:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Web browser software
- Email software
- MEDITECH software
- Bizmatics PrognoCIS EMR
- Greenway Medical Technologies PrimeSUITE
- GalacTek ECLIPSE
- Benchmark Systems Benchmark Clinical EHR
- GE Healthcare Centricity Practice Solution
- Epic Practice Management
- Cerner PowerWorks Practice Management
- HealthFusion MediTouch
- Automatic Data Processing AdvancedMD EHR
- Kareo Practice Management
- CareCloud Central
- McKesson Practice Plus
- Modernizing Medicine Practice Management
- NextGen Healthcare NextGen Practice Management
- Vitera Healthcare Solutions Vitera Intergy
Becoming a Radiologist
Education needed to be a Radiologist:
What work experience do I need to become a Radiologist?
Radiologists work in the following industries:
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|