Types of Degrees Somatic Bodywork Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many somatic bodywork graduations there were in 2020-2021 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Somatic Bodywork Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to somatic bodywork and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Somatic Bodywork Majors
Somatic Bodywork majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Skills for Somatic Bodywork Majors
A major in somatic bodywork prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Abilities for Somatic Bodywork Majors
A major in somatic bodywork will prepare for your careers in which the following abilities are important:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Manual Dexterity - The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Dynamic Strength - The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Trunk Strength - The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without ‘giving out’ or fatiguing.
What Can You Do With a Somatic Bodywork Major?
People with a somatic bodywork degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
How Much Do Somatic Bodywork Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to somatic bodywork is $45,880. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Somatic Bodywork
Some degrees associated with somatic bodywork may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
Find out what the typical degree level is for somatic bodywork careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||3.3%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||20.0%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||56.7%|
|Some College Courses||10.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||6.7%|
Online Somatic Bodywork Programs
In the 2020-2021 academic year, 5 schools offered some type of somatic bodywork program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||1||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Somatic Bodywork Worth It?
The median salary for a somatic bodywork grad is $45,880 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 15% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $119,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Somatic Bodywork
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to somatic bodywork.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Massage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage||10,595|
|Asian Bodywork Therapy||115|
|Other Somatic Bodywork and Related Therapeutic Services||2|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|