Types of Degrees Cytogenetics Technologist Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Cytogenetics Technologist Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Cytogenetics/Genetics/Clinical Genetics Technology/Technologist Majors
Cytogenetics/Genetics/Clinical Genetics Technology/Technologist majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills for Cytogenetics/Genetics/Clinical Genetics Technology/Technologist Majors
A major in cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Abilities for Cytogenetics/Genetics/Clinical Genetics Technology/Technologist Majors
Some of the most crucial abilities to master while a cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist student include the following:
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
What Can You Do With a Cytogenetics Technologist Major?
People with a cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists||11.6%||NA|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Cytogenetics Technologist?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||2|
|Hispanic or Latino||10|
Cytogenetics/Genetics/Clinical Genetics Technology/Technologist appeals to people across the globe. About 9.1% of those with this major are international students.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Cytogenetics Technologist
Some degrees associated with cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||0.2%|
|Some College Courses||0.8%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||19.8%|
|Post-Baccalaureate Certificate - awarded for completion of an organized program of study; designed for people who have completed a Baccalaureate degree but do not meet the requirements of academic degrees carrying the title of Master.||9.4%|
Online Cytogenetics Technologist Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 4 schools offered some type of cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Cytogenetics Technologist
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to cytogenetics/genetics/clinical genetics technology/technologist.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Staff Sgt. Jerilyn Quintanilla under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|