Types of Degrees Dietitian Assistant Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many dietitian assistant graduations there were in 2019-2020 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Dietitian Assistant Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, dietitian assistant majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Dietitian Assistant Majors
Dietitian Assistant majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Skills for Dietitian Assistant Majors
dietitian assistant majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Abilities for Dietitian Assistant Majors
As you progress with your dietitian assistant degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
What Can You Do With a Dietitian Assistant Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with dietitian assistant:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Dietitian Assistant?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of dietitian assistant majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||32|
|Hispanic or Latino||23|
How Much Do Dietitian Assistant Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Dietitian Assistant majors often go into careers with median salaries of $30,130. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Dietitian Assistant
Some degrees associated with dietitian assistant may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to dietitian assistant have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||23.6%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||60.9%|
|Some College Courses||6.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||3.2%|
Online Dietitian Assistant Programs
In the 2019-2020 academic year, 17 schools offered some type of dietitian assistant program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||4||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Dietitian Assistant Worth It?
The median salary for a dietitian assistant grad is $30,130 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Dietitian Assistant
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to dietitian assistant.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|Other Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition Services||549|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|