Types of Degrees Rehabilitation Counseling Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many vocational rehabilitation counseling/counselor graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Rehabilitation Counseling Majors Need to Know
People with careers related to vocational rehabilitation counseling were asked what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. They weighted these areas on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest.
Knowledge Areas for Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Skills for Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling Majors
When studying vocational rehabilitation counseling, you’ll learn many skills that will help you be successful in a wide range of jobs - even those that do not require a degree in the field. The following is a list of some of the most common skills needed for careers associated with this major:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Abilities for Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling Majors
As you progress with your vocational rehabilitation counseling degree, there are several abilities you should pick up that will help you in whatever related career you choose. These abilities include:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a Rehabilitation Counseling Major?
People with a vocational rehabilitation counseling degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Health Specialties Professors||25.9%||$97,370|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of vocational rehabilitation counseling majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||58|
|Hispanic or Latino||82|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling. About 1.9% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Rehabilitation Counseling Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Average salaries range from $39,930 to $122,320 (25th to 75th percentile) for careers related to vocational rehabilitation counseling. This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Rehabilitation Counseling
Some careers associated with vocational rehabilitation counseling require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to vocational rehabilitation counseling have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|Less than a High School Diploma||3.7%|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||9.0%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||1.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||4.1%|
Online Rehabilitation Counseling Programs
In the 2018-2019 academic year, 75 schools offered some type of vocational rehabilitation counseling/counselor program. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||0||0|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||7||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||1||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in Rehabilitation Counseling Worth It?
The median salary for a vocational rehabilitation counseling grad is $39,930 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 0% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Rehabilitation Counseling
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to vocational rehabilitation counseling.
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Barbara E. Carver under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|