International Public Health
Types of Degrees International Public Health Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many international public health/international health graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What International Public Health Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, international public health/international health majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for International Public Health/International Health Majors
This major prepares you for careers in which these knowledge areas are important:
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
Skills for International Public Health/International Health Majors
A major in international public health/international health prepares you for careers in which the following skill-sets are crucial:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Abilities for International Public Health/International Health Majors
International Public Health/International Health majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a International Public Health Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with international public health/international health:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in International Public Health?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of international public health/international health majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||40|
|Hispanic or Latino||63|
Americans aren’t the only ones with an interest in International Public Health/International Health. About 5.2% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do International Public Health Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
The median salary for someone in a career related to international public health/international health is $59,660. This median refers to all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to International Public Health
Some careers associated with international public health/international health require an advanced degree while some may not even require a bachelor’s. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
Find out what the typical degree level is for international public health/international health careers below.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||2.6%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||62.2%|
Online International Public Health Programs
In 2018-2019, 63 schools offered a international public health/international health program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||7||2|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||0||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||8||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in International Public Health Worth It?
The median salary for a international public health/international health grad is $59,660 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 50% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $395,200 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to International Public Health
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to international public health/international health.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|General Public Health||19,923|
|Public Health Education and Promotion||4,529|
|Other Public Health||2,994|
|Health Services Administration||2,882|
|Community Health and Preventive Medicine||2,322|
|Behavioral Aspects of Health||529|
|Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene||334|
|Maternal and Child Health||172|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Article 25 Flickr under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|