General Health & Wellness
Types of Degrees General Health & Wellness Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many general health and wellness graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What General Health & Wellness Majors Need to Know
In an O*NET survey, health and wellness majors were asked to rate what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important in their occupations. These answers were weighted on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the most important.
Knowledge Areas for Health and Wellness Majors
Health and Wellness majors often go into careers in which the following knowledge areas are important:
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Skills for Health and Wellness Majors
health and wellness majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Abilities for Health and Wellness Majors
Health and Wellness majors often go into careers where the following abilities are vital:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a General Health & Wellness Major?
Below is a list of occupations associated with health and wellness:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Community Health Workers||17.9%||$39,540|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in General Health & Wellness?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of health and wellness majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||618|
|Hispanic or Latino||558|
Health and Wellness appeals to people across the globe. About 0.6% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do General Health & Wellness Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Health and Wellness majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $43,480 to $59,660 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so you may expect those with a more advanced degree to make more while those with less advanced degrees will typically make less.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to General Health & Wellness
Some degrees associated with health and wellness may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. In general, the more advanced your degree the more career options will open up to you. However, there is significant time and money that needs to be invested into your education so weigh the pros and cons.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to health and wellness have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||5.4%|
|Some College Courses||1.5%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||40.2%|
Online General Health & Wellness Programs
In 2018-2019, 195 schools offered a health and wellness program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||17||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||3||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||3||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||1||1|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||0||0|
Is a Degree in General Health & Wellness Worth It?
The median salary for a health and wellness grad is $43,480 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 9% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $71,600 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to General Health & Wellness
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to health and wellness.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|General Health Services/Allied Health/Health Sciences||21,078|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Sandra M. Palumbo under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|