Public Health Education & Promotion
Types of Degrees Public Health Education & Promotion Majors Are Getting
The following table lists how many public health education and promotion graduations there were in 2018-2019 for each degree level.
|Education Level||Number of Grads|
What Public Health Education & Promotion Majors Need to Know
O*NET surveyed people in occupations related to public health education and promotion and asked them what knowledge areas, skills, and abilities were important for their jobs. The responses were rated on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important.
Knowledge Areas for Public Health Education and Promotion Majors
According to O*NET survey takers, a major in public health education and promotion should prepare you for careers in which you will need to be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
Skills for Public Health Education and Promotion Majors
public health education and promotion majors are found most commonly in careers in which the following skills are important:
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Abilities for Public Health Education and Promotion Majors
As a public health education and promotion major, you will find yourself needing the following abilities:
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
What Can You Do With a Public Health Education & Promotion Major?
People with a public health education and promotion degree often go into the following careers:
|Job Title||Job Growth Rate||Median Salary|
|Community Health Workers||17.9%||$39,540|
|Health Specialties Professors||25.9%||$97,370|
Who Is Getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health Education & Promotion?
At the countrywide level, the racial-ethnic distribution of public health education and promotion majors is as follows:
|Race/Ethnicity||Number of Grads|
|Black or African American||531|
|Hispanic or Latino||349|
Students from other countries are interested in Public Health Education and Promotion, too. About 2.7% of those with this major are international students.
How Much Do Public Health Education & Promotion Majors Make?
Salaries According to BLS
Public Health Education and Promotion majors often go into careers where salaries can range from $43,480 to $122,320 (25th to 75th percentile). This range includes all degree levels, so the salary for a person with just a bachelor’s degree may be a little less and the one for a person with an advanced degree may be a little more.
To put that into context, according to BLS data from the first quarter of 2020, the typical high school graduate makes between $30,000 and $57,900 a year (25th through 75th percentile). The average person with a bachelor’s degree (any field) makes between $45,600 and $99,000. Advanced degree holders make the most with salaries between $55,600 and $125,400.
Amount of Education Required for Careers Related to Public Health Education & Promotion
Some degrees associated with public health education and promotion may require an advanced degree, while others may not even require a bachelor’s in the field. Whatever the case may be, pursuing more education usually means that more career options will be available to you.
How much schooling do you really need to compete in today’s job market? People currently working in careers related to public health education and promotion have obtained the following education levels.
|Education Level||Percentage of Workers|
|High School Diploma - or the equivalent (for example, GED)||3.6%|
|Post-Secondary Certificate - awarded for training completed after high school (for example, in agriculture or natural resources, computer services, personal or culinary services, engineering technologies, healthcare, construction trades, mechanic and repair technologies, or precision production)||1.0%|
|Some College Courses||1.0%|
|Associate’s Degree (or other 2-year degree)||28.5%|
Online Public Health Education & Promotion Programs
In 2018-2019, 157 schools offered a public health education and promotion program of some type. The following table lists the number of programs by degree level, along with how many schools offered online courses in the field.
|Degree Level||Colleges Offering Programs||Colleges Offering Online Classes|
|Certificate (Less Than 1 Year)||5||1|
|Certificate (1-2 years)||4||0|
|Certificate (2-4 Years)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Research)||20||2|
|Doctor’s Degree (Professional Practice)||0||0|
|Doctor’s Degree (Other)||1||0|
Is a Degree in Public Health Education & Promotion Worth It?
The median salary for a public health education and promotion grad is $59,660 per year. This is based on the weighted average of the most common careers associated with the major.
This is 50% more than the average salary for an individual holding a high school degree. This adds up to a gain of about $395,200 after 20 years!
Explore Major by State
District of Columbia
Majors Related to Public Health Education & Promotion
You may also be interested in one of the following majors related to public health education and promotion.
|Major||Number of Grads|
|General Public Health||19,923|
|Other Public Health||2,994|
|Health Services Administration||2,882|
|Community Health and Preventive Medicine||2,322|
|International Public Health/International Health||1,444|
|Behavioral Aspects of Health||529|
|Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene||334|
|Maternal and Child Health||172|
*The racial-ethnic minorities count is calculated by taking the total number of students and subtracting white students, international students, and students whose race/ethnicity was unknown. This number is then divided by the total number of students at the school to obtain the racial-ethnic minorities percentage.
- College Factual
- College Scorecard
- National Center for Education Statistics
- O*NET Online
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Usual Weekly Earnings of Wage and Salary Workers First Quarter 2020
- Image Credit: By Article 25 Flickr under License
More about our data sources and methodologies.
|Request Info||Southern New Hampshire University You have goals. Southern New Hampshire University can help you get there. Whether you need a bachelor's degree to get into a career or want a master's degree to move up in your current career, SNHU has an online program for you. Find your degree from over 200 online programs. Learn More >|